- 1 smoked sausage
- 3 cups diced (and peeled if you are an over achiever) Russet potatoes
- 1/4 chopped yellow onion
- 4 tbsp Wondra (okay to use flour if you haven’t found the magic of Wondra yet)
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1 Salt & pepper
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 2 cup Cheddar cheese, sharp
- 2 cups Half & half
- Boil the diced potatoes until soft not mushy.
- Saute the sausage in a large skillet with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil.
- In same pan saute your chopped onion until soft.
- spray a 9×13″ baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the cooked potatoes, onion and sausage to the prepared casserole dish, stirring just enough to evenly distribute.
- In the skillet melt the butter and then whisk in the Wondra. Allow it to cook about a minute, whisking constantly. Slowly add in the half and half, 1/4-1/2 cup at a time, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Stir in the cheese, paprika, and salt & pepper, stirring occasionally until completely melted and the sauce is smooth.
- Pour cheese sauce evenly over the potatoes and meat.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until the casserole is golden brown on top.
Pictures if you need them:
Your main ingredients for this simple recipe:
Heating up your sliced sausage and then your onion. (don’t forget to boil your taters)
Place in your prepared pan.
If you’ve never made cheese sauce before, this is what it looks like.
Ready to bake.