- 1 box of pie crust mix (or just buy a frozen pie crust)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 2 medium carrots sliced (about 1 cup)
- 3-4 softened potatoes
- 1 stalk celery sliced (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup Wondra (or flour)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups shredded chicken or turkey
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- First, make the pie crust according to box instructions. Return mixture to the bowl and chill in fridge while prepping pie filling.
- To make the filling, boil potatoes just until starting to soften (NOT MUSHY). Place in strainer and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Once cooled, dice and set aside.
- Heat the butter over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Add the onions, carrots, celery, and garlic and cook until tender, stirring occasionally. Whisk in the Wondra, salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, chicken broth, and heavy cream. Simmer over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Stir in the shredded chicken or turkey, Potatoes and frozen peas. Remove from heat and set aside while you roll out the pie dough.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove the pie dough from the refrigerator. On a lightly floured surface, use a rolling pin to roll out the dough into a 12-inch circle. Dough should be about 1/4 inch thick. Transfer dough to a 9-inch pie pan. Pat with your fingers, making sure it is smooth. Trim the extra overhang of dough with a knife and discard. Fill pie with filling. Roll out the second disk of dough and carefully cover the pie. Trim the extra overhang off the sides. Seal the edges by crimping with a fork or your fingers. With sharp knife, slice a few small slits in the center of the top crust. Using a pastry brush, brush crust and edges with beaten egg.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. I wrap the edges with tin foil to keep them from browning too much too soon. I remove tinfoil at 30 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, cut into slices and serve.